Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reflections on reading #9 "Personal Alignment"

A framework model is a difficult choice. as I've heard said "Your personal teaching style does come into it".
I'm favouring a constructivists model but liked what I saw on the (Laurillards) link as well, and then there was...
It may be a case of look at what I naturally see as lesson tasks, e-devices use, etc... and recognise from these which model I'm actually developing towards. I like to think it is a Constructivist Model but...

Here I'm going to add an example of the type of exercise I'm developing to promote and provide a means for students to build collective knowledge from their own spaces.
The premise is to have students research and review from given subject matter. This task is done in an application available online, with all students invited into the document. I've chosen to use Google presentation for this end. I know what you are thinking... just another blooming MS Powerpoint snore.

"But wait there's more."

By giving students access to the presentation document, I only input into two slides myself.
  1. A slide for the directives and rules of engagment within this collaborative document, and
  2. A second slide set up as an exemplar.
Subsequent slides I've set in place by inserting duplicate (template) screens and simply typing in a trade term we might expect competent boat-building students to be familiar with. Students' have free range as to which terms they try to devise descriptions for.
As this task cycles through, over many weeks, we review "What" has been added each week in a face-face discussion. This is when critical thinking and group building of understanding can happen. If a student feels he can do a better job, I ask that he duplicates the slide he feels able to redevelop (with the assistance of the first slide attemptee) remove first renditions on the duplicated slide and we may review the second (revised) "Term" descriptor in due course. It is important that the student group feel safe in having their work discussed and critiqued, this I believe is where I can moderate and guide the session, not as an answer machine.
As a means to start each "Theory" session with students it is a good student centred activity.

I thank Scott Gallagher for expressing his "One Fact a Day", a regime he has with his students, for getting my creative juices going for this one. (Scott! I now do a verbal "So... what little gem of knowledge have you been learning since we last met" every day, great to start our practical sessions. They get a giggle and I don't relent 'till I get something. They are slowly learning to expect this little greeting.)

Lastly I believe this approach is (eventually) student led, collaborative, prompting of enquiry and research, multi mediae, transparent and knowledge building in a similar way to the ideals held up as good pedagogical examples in (C.McLoughlin, 2008) "The Three P's of Pedagogy.....Appendix A, bottom p25 where a group of law students' build a wiki with the same ideal as "wikipeadia" and with similar possibilities.
Many other systems of student-centred activity are being used/explored, "Blogbooks of learning" (Journals to you) google doc assessment portfolios both individual and collaborative in nature. recording theory debates in smartboard scribble. (not tidied up to aid recall) the start of review videos as training, iterative, access anywhere tools. etc...
I can clearly see the pedagogical relevancy and feel it is right on target.

BUT!

The question remains: "What framework does this represent?"

I'm likely to phrase my framework in a schematic form in order to express my ideal. Not sure yet how to present this.

Below is my "invitation to you" to view this work. Please be mindful that this is student work (in-progress) so 'view only' is the rule for visitors.




Work Cited:
McLoughlin, Catherine, and Mark J.W. Lee. "The Three P’s of Pedagogy for the Networked Society: Personalization, Participation, and Productivity." International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Http://www.isetl.org/ijtlhe/index.cfm, 27 Oct. 2008. Web. 15 Sept. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment