Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reflecting on "Eureka"

Since my "moment" last evening, I've been reflecting on 'WHAT' it was in particular about this reading that made such an immediate connection with me. I mean, I'd read several texts about constructivism and other frameworks, but this time.....I re-read my gushy intro from last night, here in lies the answer, I said "the subject matter transported me". This indicates that I (on a subconscious level) bought into the "story". The reading had a small example of a 'real world' situation with 'real people', I entered that world, I recognized the similarities with my own teaching style and aims. But was that all...what then changed this experience from being another head nodding exercise to being an epiphany of sorts?
I strongly remember the last book that had this effect on me, it was in 1980 and it was "Gougeon Bros on Boat Construction", that time it set me on a journey of discovery that gives us the boatbuilder you see today. The precursor to the "Gougeon" book was mucking about in boats, reading trade/ boating magazines and the odd tale of seamanship, I was also, at the time, living in Australia and the KZ7 Americas Cup excitement was upon us. These things (societal you'll notice) allowed me the freedom and language to recognise a passion that has sustained me as a person for many years. Was I actively looking to become a boatbuilder? No not actively, I was a draughtsman for an engineering firm. Can I see parallels with where some of my students 'come aboard' with their studies? absolutely.

So...what happened?

 Firstly; it challenged and made me recognise the relevancy of prior reading and my witnessing of examples of other peoples work with students, sometimes physically, sometimes from recorded exemplars.

Secondly; this recognition brought with it the understanding of where I was weak in application of this technique in teaching, namely, being brave enough to let construction happen within the knowledge and skills students already possess, in other words to stand off more, to "Facilitate-not Regurgitate". The ideas for lesson and activities plans have taken a dynamic shift within me. I can't stop smiling-it is a key.

Thirdly; the realisation that the culmination of a plethora of bite sized information and learning alighned to perhaps not give me knowledge per say, but to develop that knowledge into a inspiring deliberate actions to move forward with.

Finally; behind all this was a slowly remembered concept that I often mistakenly overlook. I often see frameworks as something 'I' need to fit into. "WRONG" I just need to recognise which framework I assimilate to naturally.
Again this realisation harks back to prior knowledge from a GDipHE course around L&N frameworks and interventions. For me I have to start with 'what I do now' that is good, then, see where it fits a framework. NOT! here is a framework now change yourself to suit it.
Thanks Trisias Halifran for a one liner that had that particular penny drop for me. Once I understood this, I felt that I had been "Dumb" for quite some time, but... so be it.

In effect then, I am more aware of the very processes that constructivist learners should go through. It may be the very first time I've been able to see a true overview of the processes I myself experience 'as' I experienced it. (uuoooohh spooky possums)
Where did the learning final happen? was it in a societal environmental?
You bet it was, the daily collegiate banter between colleagues in the SLT group and staff that just get into it, with lunchtime discussions, items of interest being distributed freely, online bog posts from a variety of educationalist and tutors, suggested readings that then promoted surfing wider topics and views, all had a hand in it. Has web 2.0 tools played a role. Of course. So...

2 comments:

  1. Merf

    Your blog posts are a perfect example of development - with a good mix of your reflections, feelings, experience and literature. I would love to see your framework and what shape it has taken ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for feedback Vic, Have framework in my minds eye. Need to finish some other reflection posts, but have started sketching up my vision.

    ReplyDelete